Monday, February 29, 2016

The cake test




Japanese patisserie has a different approach to western style cakes. They have found a new way to make them better. Fresher and lighter taste, and beautiful to the eye…
When you eat it, it is just like a new window opening, you feel a little breeze. Some birds are singing, and chirping, a fresh smell of the flowers… It is fascinating. I am not talking about the award winning cakes, I am talking about a well-established and yummy, a standard cake which is easily found in Japan.
When you come here, you just have to taste the cakes…

My experience with Japanese cakes though was a little different.
I love cake, I dream about cakes, I can talk about cakes for hours… When I moved to Tokyo, I wanted to have some cake, I bought at markets, small shops, famous shops… It just didn’t hit me, I just couldn’t open the window, so I didn’t like those cakes. I went on and on about how things of these cakes that I didn’t like, how many changes that I want about those cakes.

 I went back to my home country for a vacation, I ate cakes there, and I just love those cakes. I just wanted those cakes.

Then it hit me. It is not about cake. It is about my emotions. Because that I love cake so much, my tasting was reflecting my emotions. 

I wasn’t used to Japan yet, I was still missing my home. I wanted my old comfort. So I disliked the cakes of Japan but keep adoring the ones in my home country….
It was all in my head. I wasn’t ready to welcome the taste that Japan is offering for me. 

I was not sure when it would change. Eventually it changed. Now, I love the cakes in Japan.
It is about taste of life. And Tokyo is delicious.

Cheers,
Ece

No comments:

Post a Comment