Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Lost in translation



I try to share my experience about Tokyo with you. I try to be open to the world, and to absorb knowledge. There are not many movies that I can link with Japan, but Lost in Translation by Sophia Coppola is one of them.
I watched that movie when it was shown on cinemas, I was mesmerized by clarity with the floating feeling of lost. And of course, I didn’t understand any Japanese.
I think about re-watching it, I was curious about the effect of my experience with Japan. It was obvious that I would think differently, because I have changed with years, and because I know a little about Japan, living in Japan, and because I know a little Japanese.
The things that I haven’t notice before, or things that I didn’t care before

·         The scene when to foreigners meet in a crowded elevator, I thought that I was a scene to make the 2 main characters to notice each other. Now, I think it is a familiar scene, I smile most of the time when I see a foreigner like me in Japan, I feel like we are friends in a way, with the experience of Japan.

·         Little translation, it was a scene when Bill Murray was shooting an advertisement with a Japanese director and a translator who connects them. I was lost in translation when I first watched, now I understand the conversations. It is a typical scene in my life too. I ask a question, there are many words used as explanation or as respectful way to express. In the end I just receive the answer and miss all the explanations.

·         The scene where Charlotte calls a friend, I thought it was about the feeling of disconnection with life and friends. Now, I think it is more a perspective thing. Because that we are in Tokyo, and interesting city, everybody expects us to be super happy, having fun or so... We also have bad days, need some sympathy but sometimes fail to receive any.

These are the big items that I have noticed, but there is a phrase that is true for me on some dark days. It is a line from Bill Murray:
It is not fun, it is just really really different.

Cheers,
Ece

No comments:

Post a Comment