Monday, July 13, 2015

Hanko



I spent a lot of time when I was teenager to create a beautiful signature for myself. I am really proud of my design, and still using the same signature.
So give me a pen and I sign…
Moving abroad creates a lot of paper work so, I filled out forms after forms, to make the documents official, I have to sign them.
I have been asked many times whether I have a Hanko or not. Hmmm I don’t know what that is and I don’t have it, even if I have what is that I don’t use so…
  
They always told me you can sign this place then. This is the kanji for seal  This is the place I always sign instead of putting my seal on.
 I was so shocked that hanko was more popular than signature. 

Hanko is a personal stamp or seal bearing your name that can be used as your signature. Because that kanji is used it is easy to create you seal consisting of 2 or 3 kanjis. Many names have many syllables. I am lucky for having 3. :)

My signature has features of my hand writing. I have had so many questions and uncertainties in my mind, and as a result, I have refused to use hanko for security reasons.

There are shops that you can order Hanko, and also at many shops there are sections of ready to use seals for your name, If you have a kanji based name. it is as easy as buying a stamp with a smiley.:)

So if I had a name written in kanji, and if someone else bought the same seal that I use and stole my personal identity, what will happen…?

Apparently, my question was pointing that I don’t understand the system historically and legally.
Historically, Hanko was originated in feudal times, many powerful and influential families were known with their family seals.
Legally, registration of personal seal to the ward is mandatory, so there is a control and protection system.

Since I don’t have a name written in kanji, so my seal will be unique and safe.
After cleared my questions in my mind, I ordered my own personal hanko that it is a small box in which there is a place for ink and the actual wooden seal. It is small, and efficient.  And I like it.

 I still have a problem using the seal properly while pressing. I cannot press strong enough and evenly. I have my Japanese Hanko. One more item that is unique for my life in Japan. 

 
Cheers,
Ece

No comments:

Post a Comment