Monday, July 20, 2015

Happy Sea Day



19th of July is the Sea day (umi no hi) in Japan, a national holiday.  It is a day cherishing the sea and the ocean. The sea day marks the day when Emperor Meiji returned from a boat trip to Hokkaido in 1876.



I come from a country that is connected to neighboring countries thorough land. Land connection provide a flexibility and an easiness to travel and interactions. When I moved to Japan, I missed that idea of land connections, a lot. The idea of being able to go to a country without crossing seas and oceans seems comforting for me. I have an idea fixed considering islands as vacation destinations. Silly me.

I always have to pass a period of shock and change my old habits and get used to new ideas when Japan throws something new in front of me.
It is a new perspective. I understand the significance and the necessity of this celebration on an island nation. It is a celebration of every gift and opportunity and protection the sea given to world and Japanese nation.


The food is based on fish and other sea products.
The economy has many prospects from sea.
They traveled on a boat for many centuries. They protected themselves with the sea.
They trust sea with their lives.
They have fun at sea.
And, Japanese culture is very sensible and respectful to nature. Nature and its gifts are not considered lightly as usual or else. Nature is cherished and respected with many celebratory days… Sea, greenery day…
The Sea day is also a day full of parades, and festivities and celebrations.


Happy sea day from an island,
Cheers,
Ece


No comments:

Post a Comment