Thursday, July 30, 2015

Sumida Fireworks



July and August are the best festivals months in Japan. There are so many things to do, to see, to enjoy.
On my personal calendar, Sumida Fireworks is the first festival of the season that I would like to attend every year. After Sumida Fireworks, almost every weekend there are other festivals and fireworks until September. It is a big start with 20.000 beautifully choreographed fireworks, for one and a half hour. Sumidagawa Hanabitaikai-Sumida River Fireworks Festival is the full name of the event.
This year, it is the first time that I could attend. The year when I moved to Tokyo, I missed the date and sadly watched YouTube videos of the fireworks. Last year, it was rainy so I guessed the fireworks got cancelled. And this year I went to see the festival and there was no rain. It was such a wonderful experience regale to the eye.
There were so many things that I didn’t know about this festival.
There are 2 locations for fireworks display. I was in the middle and I hurt my neck by turning back and forth with enthusiasm.
The fireworks starts at 19.05, I planned to go early to find a good place to watch. What I didn’t know is the roads was blocked after 18.00. There were many police officers helping the crowd.
I knew that some boats, or roof tops can be reserved for the event. I think this beautiful event is for every one and there is no need to spent money. So I preferred to sit in the park, free space to sit or to stand.  Also later on, I realized that there were some places close to river with tickets. As I said before, this is a public event, there is no need to spend money.  I spent money for food and drinks and enjoyed with the people around me.
This festival starts in the morning, people dressed in kimonos and yukatas wander around Asakusa. It is always a beauty to the eye to see Japanese people or many foreigners dressed in kimonos and yukatas for a modern time festival in an historical area, Asakusa. I enjoyed the crowd watch more than I expected. :)


 I arrived the area early and decided to have a drink. I ran into a Starbucks. That Starbucks has a special drink for Sumida Fireworks. It was a mocha Frappuccino with hazelnut syrup and whipped cream and chocolate sauce. I got a Hanabi special.  This was also a coincidental joy. I didn’t know about special drink but I was happy to taste the specialty of the day.
It is a famous festival, so I had great expectations, when it was finished beyond my expectations. Such a joy…
Cheers with fireworks,
Ece

No comments:

Post a Comment