Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Bean World



Have you ever been in a bean world?
Have you met all the beans in the world?

Check it out; Garbanzo beans, white beans, red beans, adzuki beans, soy beans, fava beans, peas, lentils, peanuts…. I checked the bean page on Wikipedia, these are the ones I eat frequently.
Beans are savory ingredients or sweet ones? Is anything can be savory or sweet by salt and sugar?
I like beans, I like beans savory. Does this make me old fashion?
I thought I am familiar with the beans and established good relationship with them. Like many other ideas this also changed in Japan. Thankfully ….

 I am well aware of the new healthy wave using beans in cakes and so on but hold on tight…
Japanese people knew it all along…. For centuries….


Anko is a sweet bean paste, used in many different ways:
Adzuki bean jelly, called yokan,
Been donuts, breads,
Dorayaki beans in between pancakes,
Sakuramochi Sweet pink mochi (rice cake) filled with red bean paste and covered with a cherry blossom leaf (sakura).
 
Green ones are green tea sweet mocha, pink ones are sakuramochi.
Sweet mocha with anko inside.
It provides healthy fiber, protein sugar and authenticity.
It can be canned, crushed, smoothed or uncooked… it is just divine :)
 
Thanks to the internet for being a good source I have created my own bean brownie recipes. I cooked good and bad ones to perfect. And my lovely husband eat it all with me.
It is a student recipe. It is not expensive. It is quick and doesn’t create much dirty dishes and  healthy with low calories and with many options.

My own bean brownie, it only lasts 1 and a half day.

Ingredients
400gr crushed anzoku beans use canned ones with food processor or buy from Japanese stores already crushed and sweetened…
2 or 3 eggs it depends on what you have, with 3 eggs  fluffier .
Baking powder, 5gr, I use single packed ones so, this may change for your regular use
Vanilla essence optional, it is okey with or without
Cocoa powder, half a cup
Chocolate chips, optional, I mostly prefer to eat a cake and a chocolate separately.
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Sugar is not needed if you buy anzoku beans at Japanese store, if not half a cup sugar.
Walnuts on top optional

Mix it all and bake it.
I have a cake button on my oven, so I don’t know the specifics. Stick a toothpick when it looks baked properly. Beans will make a smooth and wet brownie.
And it is gluten free, yummy :)

Cheers,
Ece

1 comment: