Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Monkey sees, monkey does



   I am trying to be good to my body. After I have moved to Tokyo, I have realized that I am going to have a little stressed life. Adulthood... My way to adulthood has started since I moved to Tokyo.  I hope to be a relax, an easy going adult. I still hope… Unfortunately I am not there yet. My body is carrying me every day, on good days and on bad days. So I had to do somethings for my body. I started walking around, used some dumbbells at home…
  Little by little, I gained confidence. It was time for me to go to gym. It was my time to socialize in a way. I became member of a gym.
  I thought that I have to pay only for membership, they ask me whether I want to use towels, sportswear, socks, shoes…. Shock and shock again….
   It turns out that you can go to a gym in Japan, ask for every item needed, after using throw them into washing baskets and just leave the gym. You don’t have to carry a gym bag, you don’t have to think about that.
    It is a brilliant idea but, I am not having that service by the way... I just like to have my own clothes and towels…
   After that, even if I knew some people take sportswear from gym which has gyms logo on, I assumed they worked in the gym, then I get used to the idea….
    The gym that I am attending is really professional, they help you with the machines, they try to create a workout routine with you, they provide body composition measurements, and they have personal trainers that you can arrange. And my greatest entertainment; group classes…
    There are many group classes, many different level of difficulties and many different kinds of classes. All the latest fashion classes, Zumba, cycling, bale, dance classes, yoga, a little eastern Tai-chi, classics step, Pilates... Anyone can enjoy these classes. And all of them are in Japanese.
    I am happy that I have already trained myself at home, that I wouldn’t be the foreign loser who can’t keep up with the classes.  Honestly, my Japanese is not good enough to understand all the instructions.
    I even had to give up on dance classes, and step classes. I used to do dance classes and step classes, so I was familiar with the basic steps, but every single time I had missed the instructions, I tried to catch up, with English music on the background, trying to understand and not succeeding  to understand were too much for me. I even cried after some of the classes, because I couldn’t enjoy classes that I have wanted.
     Yoga classes are the best classes, you know that it is calming, if you know the basics you don’t need much instructions. And in yoga, you are free to do as much as you can and want.
    Then I have developed a strategy. I have participated a variety of classes, I Have examined my classmates. I even marked some super fit people, seem to be regulars of the classes. I listen to the instructions, I understand 30-40 percent and I follow someone else’s moves… The super fit, regulars, never miss a bit, these people are helping me, most probably without knowing.

I am a monkey at the gym. Monkey sees monkey does. :)
Cheers,
Ece

1 comment:

  1. I like your idea of following people's movements::::)))
    I wish you good luck with your gym classes.

    ReplyDelete