Monday, June 29, 2015

Hachiko


The first time I have heard about Hachiko’s story, I was in a Japanese class with other foreign students, I really tried hard to force myself not to cry, but I had visible wet eyes.

Then the same night, I told the story of Hachiko to my husband. I was at home, so I cried freely without worry.

Now, I am writing the story with a knot in my throat.  There is also a movie about this story, but I can’t watch it, I am sorry but I just can’t. Hachi: A dog’s tale, this film is the American version of the story.
Hachiko (1923-1935) was the beloved dog of a professor. Every day, Hachiko greeted the professor at the Shibuya station. One day, the professor didn’t return, he died suddenly at work due to brain hemorrhage.

Hachiko never left the station and stayed around the station, never gave up waiting for him. Every day at the time of which professor supposed to arrive, he appeared in front of the station.  He waited for nine years, nine months and fifteen days after his owner’s death.  Hachiko became famous for his loyalty and love. The station stuff, and other people cared for him, gave him food and treats to support his wait.
Hachiko exit is just the corner of the famous crossing

In his 8th year of waiting, a bronze statue of Hachiko was built in front of the station. And there exists the Hachiko Exit in Shibuya station, one of the busiest stations in Tokyo.

Inside the train station, there are also bronze paw prints marking the exact spot where Hachiko waited for the professor. I have missed that, but I will make sure to see it as soon as possible.







Meet me at Hachiko became a known phrase. You can meet your friends next to Hachiko, a loyal, loving, faithful dog who used to meet the professor and used to wait for the professor.







Cheers, love and loyalty, with a tissue,
Ece

No comments:

Post a Comment